Monday, January 3, 2011

1928 - Future Grandmothers Corresponding

I know it's hard to read, but the envelope is addressed to Miss Emma Lange at Cummings, Kansas.  The letter was sent from Beatrice Mayfield of Cummings, Kansas.  the date is November 1928.  Who cares?  It's just an old letter, right?

Last night, when I should have been cleaning up after our final Christmas celebration, I was reading letters written by two young girls over a period of eight years. As I savored each line, I was struck by the timelessness of the letters.  These letters were written over eighty years ago, but they could just as easily have been sent via e-mail today! 

Beatrice wrote about her latest activities and inquired about Emma's.  She wrote of the boys she liked and those she didn't like.  She wrote about her desire to marry and have a family.  Her desire to have a home of her own and she asked Emma how she felt on each of these topics.

I don't have letters written from Emma to Beatrice, so I can only guess what her responses were based on the letters in my possession.  But this much I do know:

Emma Lange married Fred Fuhrman less than three months after the last letter was written.  Beatrice Mayfield married Victor Barber one year after the last letter was written.

Fifty-two years after the last letter, Emma's grandson married Beatrice's granddaughter.  I am Beatrice's granddaughter, and of course, Emma's grandson is my husband, Marlin. 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool!! I don't like to read much, but your stories last just long enough to whet my appetite, reel me in and hook me at the end. I enjoy reading these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting story Debbie! Who but God knew the plan back in 1928, to bring two people together 52 years later.

    ReplyDelete