Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A trip to the hair salon - Random Thoughts

     I went to get my hair cut and colored yesterday.  Nothing new. I've been coloring my hair for years.  I had hoped to take after my father who didn't gray until his early sixties.  I didn't.  I inherited my mother's tendency to gray early.  I had told my husband years ago that I would continue to color my hair as long as his mother did.  I was NOT going to have more gray showing than my mother-in-law!  Well, now I have a dilemma...

     My mother-in-law is no longer coloring her hair, in fact, she does not have enough hair to color.  After undergoing numerous chemotherapy and radiation treatments, her hair is just now beginning to grow back.  Best described as a marbling of gray and white, I find it quite lovely.  Unique. Now that she is doing well, I wonder what she'll do about coloring her hair... For now, I will continue to color mine - just to be safe.

     Have you ever considered what your hair says about you?  The color and the style?  These questions were floating around my mind as I waited for my appointment.  Looking at the women whose hair was being styled, I wondered if I couldn't accurately describe the personality of each.

     Then I had what seemed to be a rather bizarre thought - a relationship with a good hairstylist can be compared to our relationship with God.  A stretch, you say?  All I can say is, it's my mind and I can't always control these thoughts...

     Have you ever taken a picture to your stylist and said, "This is exactly what I want.  I love this cut!"  Somehow, our identity, our happiness if you will, is often tied to our hair.  If we can get that perfect cut, our lives will be transformed.  Our children will become more compliant, helpful even.  Our husbands will greet us with grand gifts.  And all we meet will greet us with looks of admiration.

     And don't we take that same notion to God?  If I just had a better car, a bigger house, a better job, then my life would be perfect.  "God, could you look at these mental pictures I have and fill my desires? Then my life would be perfect and the kids would be more compliant and helpful.  I'm sure my husband would start lavishing me with gifts and attention.  And everyone I meet will greet me with looks of admiration."  Sounds selfish, doesn't it?  We have a mental picture of what it would take to have a perfect life and we want God to provide that perfect life based on our mental picture.

     I've never had that perfect cut.  The elusive perfect cut.  I have had some bad cuts.  Really bad.  I'm sure at some time you have experienced the "I'll be wearing this hat for a while" hair massacre.  You are mortified, speechless as you leave the salon.  Your mood darkens as time passes and by the time your family sees you, you are livid.  Poor things.  They don't know what to say or do.  And if they are smart, they won't say anything!

     I've never seen anyone with a perfect life, either.  God knows us well enough not to give us our every desire.  Who learns from perfection?  I don't.  Well, I don't think I would - I haven't experienced perfection...

     My sister is my stylist.  I've been able to count on her for about ten years.  She has talked me out of hairstyles and talked me into others.  She has made me promise to never, ever color my hair myself (I have pictures that support her demands).  I've learned a lot about hair from her.

     So here is the path my brain took: When we are faithful in our walk with God, we can trust him to send nothing but the best our way.  We may not like his choice of "best," but we trust His judgment.  Much like the relationship with a good hairstylist, we trust her when she says, "This is a great style but it's not for you.  You wouldn't be happy with it." We don't always appreciate being told that what we want is not what is best for us.  At least, not initially.

     And what about the times when we experimented?  When we walked away from our stylist and decided to try someone new?  The allure of a new stylist who could possible give us the elusive "perfect" cut can overtake us, just as the temptation to temporarily abandon our walk with God can.  Both scenarios will end in heartache.  Fortunately, our original stylist will take us back, will forgive us for trying someone new.  And, she will repair the damage done by a stylist who doesn't know our hair growth pattern.  Isn't God like that?  Even when we walk away, or just turn a deaf ear and operate on autopilot, God is ready to take us back into his arms.  Ready to undo any damage.

     When I get a really good haircut, I feel better about myself.  I know you do, too.  We are more confident and other people notice.  A faithful walk with God can do even more.  Not only are you more confident, but you have more to offer the person who asks, "What's up with you?  Why are you in such a good mood?"  Passing on the name of a good stylist is helpful for now, passing on the name of your Savior is helpful forever.

1 comment:

  1. Deb, I have enjoyed reading these short stories, and I don't like to read, so that's saying something. Looking forward to reading this blog on a regular basis. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete