Thursday, December 16, 2010

Bluebird Ministries - What's in a Name? (Part One)

Before I explain why I chose the name, perhaps I should explain the need for the name.

Not long after we started attending Grace Evangelical Church, an announcement was made that  the Christian Leaders and Speakers Seminar, an organization founded by Florence Littauer, would be conducting a three day seminar for leaders and teachers.  Meeting Florence Littauer and been a dream of mine for many years, but I had put that dream to rest.  She wouldn't be attending the seminar, but I knew the training would be memorable.

Unfortunately, life got in the way as it often does.  My father-in-law passed away and then my mother-in-law became gravely ill.  Consumed with the demands of each day, I forgot about the seminar.  Until the Sunday before...

Allyson and Kayleigh were singing in both services and we were leaving as soon as they finished in the second.  It was in the second service, that our pastor introduced a guest - Florence Littauer!  She was not close enough to touch, but oh so close.  I couldn't believe she had been in the same sanctuary and I had missed an opportunity to meet her!

I hadn't filled out a registration form and more importantly, my grandkids were coming early the next morning, as they do every Monday.  I prayed about the situation before going to bed, but I must admit I didn't sleep well that night.

The next morning I told Marlin how much I had longed to attend the seminar and how I had appreciated and used what I had learned from Florence Littauer's books on personality types.  And then, I asked him if he thought he could take care of Michael and Emily so I could attend the seminar.  I had no obligations for the other two days.  Amazing man that he is, he told me to hurry up and get ready!

Everyone was in the sanctuary when I arrived.  I saw no familiar faces and found that strange, but didn't have time to look any further as I needed to take notes.  Lots and lots of notes!  The next few hours were exciting and the information was helpful.  But then, my excitement gave way to panic.  We were informed that we were being divided into groups and that once we found the area designated for our group, we would have five minutes to prepare a three minute talk!  Not only that, but we were to stand in front of the group deliver our talk and then remain standing while each member offered a critique!  Oh my!  This was not what I signed up for!  All I wanted was to learn how to be a better Christian teacher and leader.  I though this was a seminar on teaching methods!!!

It was at this point, right before we were dismissed to find our groups, that I realized all of the attendees were in professional attire, except one.  And, all of the attendees had laptop computers or briefcases, except one.  AND, all of them were exchanging business cards, except one.  Guess who that one was?

I have never experienced "test anxiety" but I can fully appreciate the fear others with this problem feel. Without any direction, I couldn't get focused. I wasted the first three minutes choosing my topic!  Once I decided on a topic, I tried to put an outline together in an effort to stay focused.  That didn't help.  Neither did the fact that I couldn't run through my talk and time myself!  I made it through, but it was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. 

What I discovered was that the other attendees were already speaking to groups; they talked of their "speaking platforms" and I didn't even know that that meant!  And, some of them were published authors!! I was in the wrong place!!!  Thankfully, they were all very gracious and helpful.

I attended the evening session on writing for the Christian market and again was out of place.  We sat in a circle and the facilitator said we would go around the room introducing ourselves after which we could ask any writing questions we had.  Wouldn't you know it?  She started with me!  I felt so foolish when I admitted that I hadn't written anything for publication since college and that I had come to the session with no questions!  Several of the attendees had published books, some had hundreds of published magazine articles! Once again, I was a fish out of water.

I don't know when I have ever been so keyed up.  Driving home, all I could think about was what torture lay in store on Tuesday.  How can you prepare for the unknown?

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing it was that you were able to come to that seminar! I LOVE how God works to bring his people together in his time. And for the record...you WERE NOT out of place. You were EXACTLY where he wanted you to be! :)

    ReplyDelete