Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Earliest Chrstmas Memory

Some people remember their childhood vividly.  I don't.  I don't recall what I received for Christmas when I was six, or seven, or even eight.  I know I received a "Velvet" doll as a gift, but I'm not sure if it was for my birthday or for Christmas.  I remember you could pull her ponytail to make her hair grow longer, and you could push a button on her hard plastic stomach to shorten her hair.  I remember my gold bicycle with the metallic flakes and a white banana seat.  Was it a Christmas gift or birthday gift?  I have no idea.

My first Christmas memory is of being sick and missing the Christmas dinner and gift exchange at my Grandpa and Grandma Barber's house.  I remember crying as my parents and my brothers left the house.  Hot tears rolled down my feverish cheeks as I watched them leave.  My cousins would be there.  Grandma would be serving her delicious dressing.  Uncle David would surely have a special gift for me.  And I wouldn't be there.  Never mind that my parents would bring my gifts home.  I was too young to be consoled by that thought.

I remember my Granny Miller sitting on the edge of the bed as I cried.  She rubbed her hand on my back and it felt cool.  Over and over, she moved her hand in a figure eight pattern until I was calm.  I can remember what it felt like to have her cool hand on my feverish back, but most of all I remember thinking that she must surely love me.  I knew that she had been disappointed to miss the gift-giving as well, but she stayed with me.  Because she loved me.  I knew that she loved me, she had told me, but this was different.  Now I understood love. 

My first Christmas memory is of being loved and understanding what that meant.  What is your first Christmas memory?

No comments:

Post a Comment