Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bluebird Ministries - What's In a Name? Day Three

What significance does the bluebird have to my ministry?  Why not the cardinal or the dove?  Why not the peacock or the swan? 

After completing the CLASS seminar, I knew that I wanted to revive my dream to be an author and inspirational speaker.  I knew I wanted to talk to women of all ages about the joy and contentment that come only through a relationship with our Lord, Jesus Christ.  I knew I didn't want to use Debra Fuhrman Ministries as my ministry name.  I wanted to use Bluebird Ministries.

I can trace my love for bluebirds back to my junior year in high school.  Jamie Hanrahan sat beside me in a Creative Writing class.  Not many students talked to Jamie, he was considered an outsider.  At the end of the year, I asked Jamie to sign my yearbook.  I have often thought about what he wrote.  He said I reminded him of a bluebird because I was always happy and I spread joy wherever I went.  He also said that I reminded him of a bluebird because I was nice to everyone, not just the popular kids.  As a sixteen-year-old, I could receive no better compliment.

I now have bluebird figurines in almost every room of my house.  I have pictures with bluebirds hanging on the wall and I have a stuffed bluebird that sings.  I have two bluebird items that mean a great deal to me. 

I stopped by my friend Merri's house and was introduced to her mother, Jo.  Merri and Jo were working on a jigsaw puzzle and I noticed an unopened bluebird puzzle that was next in line.  Jo insisted on giving me the puzzle when she learned of my love for bluebirds.  I'm not sure which of us received more joy in the giving of that gift.  A couple of years later, Jo lost her battle with cancer.  As Merri dealt with her grief and worked to get her mother's estate settled, she thought of me.  I have a beautiful wine bottle with a bluebird logo in my kitchen.  It reminds me of Jo's beautiful smile, a smile much like Merri's. 

I want to be a bluebird.  I want to bring joy to others.  I want to sing God's praises to everyone, not to a select few.  Bluebird Ministries was the only name that made any sense to me.

As I sit here, I have in front of me a small sign decorated with bluebirds that reads, "Friendship is not a big thing, it's a million little things." 

I wasn't trying to be noble when I befriended Jamie Hanrahan; I was simply sharing my joy.  Jo didn't have an ulterior motive when she gave me her puzzle; she was simply sharing her joy.  And Merri, dear Merri, gave her gift out of joy as well.  The bluebird sings and spreads joy because God created the bluebird for just such a purpose.  I want to be a bluebird, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment