Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Time: Use It or Lose It

As we grow up, we learn that even the one person that wasn't supposed to ever let you down probably will.  You will have your heart broken, probably more than once and it's harder every time.  You'll break hearts, too.  So, remember how it felt when yours was broken.  You'll fight with your best friend.  You'll blame a new love from things an old one did.  You'll cry because time is passing too fast, and you'll eventually lose someone you love.  So take too many pictures, laugh too much, and love like you've never been hurt because every sixty seconds you spend upset is  a minute of happiness you'll never get back.  Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.  - Anonymous - 

As I was clearing files from my computer, I found this and thought about the wisdom contained in the lines.  It was a great reminder that I need to practice what I preach.  I often find myself wasting minutes in unproductive activities.  I need to stay focused on what is important.

I have been trying to prepare a short story each week for a writer's challenge on the website, FaithWriters.com.  I'm not entering the weekly contest for something to do, I have more items on my "To Do" list than I can possibly accomplish in a lifetime.  BUT, I have always enjoyed writing and a long-held dream of mine has been to see my name on a book spine.

FaithWriters is my springboard.  I need to practice writing succinctly and I need the feedback I get from the other writers on the website.  There are weekly winners and while my focus is not on garnering a spot in the top three, it would be nice to have my efforts recognized.

The time I spend writing is not wasted time.  I need to practice, to improve my skills.  What about the time I spend doing other things?  Time spent watching television is almost always wasted.  A mindless sitcom steals thirty minutes.  Sure, I could say I need the time to "wind down" after a stressful day, but if my need is to "wind down" then why not read a book?  Or watch a program with some educational value?  Some of my time is scheduled for me, I am following someone else's schedule.  Are those minutes wasted because I have no control?

Each minute I spend waiting with my mother-in-law while she undergoes chemotherapy is an opportunity for us to talk.  Or, if she is resting, it is an opportunity for me to read, write, or rest.  I could easily waste those hours reading women's magazines - actually most of the time would be spent looking at advertisements, as there are few articles.  I try to use those hours reading books that will instruct or inspire.  If I write, I choose to write with a purpose.

In sixty minutes, I can write five to ten pages on my latest novel.  In sixty minutes, I can rad two chapters in an inspirational book.  In sixty minutes, I can read my Bible, take notes, and pray.  In sixty minutes, I can do something with my family that will leave a lasting memory.

Or I could take a nap.  I'm not opposed to naps, ask anyone who knows me.  I love naps.  From time to time, I find them to be essential.  But, I can't use naps as a way to fill time.  I can't get that time back, and besides, come bedtime I'll have a hard time falling asleep.

What about the time that must be spent taking care of the household?  The minutes I spend grocery shopping, unloading and putting away groceries?  What about the minutes I spend washing dishes or preparing a meal?  What about the minutes I spend vacuuming and dusting?  I can't get those minutes back.  Are they wasted?

Certainly not.  Some of the best conversations I've had with my kids have happened while we washed dishes, cleaned the house or picked up sticks in the yard.  Some of my most fervent prayers have been offered up while I scrubbed the kitchen floor.

We all have 1440 minutes in our day.  We either use them or lose them.  God expects us to be good stewards of our time. Make every minute count.

No comments:

Post a Comment