Friday, March 4, 2011

Lydia, Seller of Purple Cloth

 
When I was pregnant with my first child (back when you didn't know the sex of the baby until birth), I had a name picked out for a girl.  It was a name I loved.  Unfortunately, Marlin hated the name.  In fact, he told me that if I had a daughter she would never forgive me for giving her such an old-fashioned name.
What was the name, you ask?  Lydia Grace.  Isn't it a beautiful name?  It just rolls off the tongue.  It didn't matter.  I had a boy.  And then another boy.  But, I've never lost my fascination with the name.


Most of us are familiar with the Biblical account of Lydia found in Acts 16: 13-15 and later in Act 16:40.  Lydia is described as a woman who sold purple cloth.  I can't remember ever hearing a sermon about Lydia.  I've heard her mentioned in passing, but never an entire sermon devoted to Lydia.  (As our pastor preaches through the Bible, I expect this to change.  We are on the book of Luke, so sometime this summer, I will be taking notes as he preaches about this woman who is near and dear to my heart.)

I am drawn to Lydia for two reasons:

First, Lydia was a seller of purple cloth.  When we read the short account of Lydia in Acts 16, no mention is made of a husband.  We are to assume Lydia is a widow with a family and a household of servants to support.  She is selling purple fabric, therefore she is selling to an elite clientele.  It doesn't say whether she was a wealthy woman or not, but many choose to believe she was.  In my opinion, it doesn't matter.

Like me, Lydia is a businesswoman and I haven't found a lot of businesswomen in the Bible to serve as role models.  The short glimpse we have of Lydia does not tell us about her business practices.  We can look at the details we have and guess.  This leads me to my next point.

Second, Lydia opened her heart to Paul's message.  When she hears Paul preach, the Bible tells us, "The Lord opened her heart."  I believe this to mean she felt the presence of the Holy Spirit.  She immediately believes and acts in faith.  She is baptized, as is her entire household which would include her children and servants. 
A few weeks ago, I decided to do a little research on Lydia.  I "googled" her and found conflicting information.  Not everyone agrees with the long-held belief that Lydia was a wealthy woman.

According to some sources, Lydia was not a woman's name, rather it was a place.  Some sources imply that Lydia was probably a slave and therefore was not referred to by name, but by the town where she lived.  It has also been suggested that Lydia was not selling an expensive fabric, but that she was selling an imitation, a knock-off fabric made from plant dye. 

As I read through all of the information, I found myself questioning the story as I had learned it.  And then I wondered, does it really matter?  This story's importance comes not from the product Lydia is selling, but from her reaction to Paul's message.

Lydia is not a Jew; she is a Gentile. Lydia is intrigued by the Jewish God, Yahweh and is worshipping with other women when we first learn of her in Acts 16.  Her heart has been opened by God, allowing her to listen to Paul with an open mind. 
Lydia is open to the faith shared by Paul.  She doesn't hesitate to invite Paul and those with him to stay in her home.  These two things impress me.  She isn't cynically asking, "What's the catch?"  or "What's in it for me?"  She simply listens to Paul and yields to the Holy Spirit.   And then, she acts on her faith as she is baptized.

I am also impressed by Lydia's offer to provide food and shelter for Paul and his entourage.  She is willing to inconvenience her family; in fact, she is willing to inconvenience the entire household.  She has an opportunity to learn more about Christianity and she doesn't hesitate.  She is a faithful servant to the church and the community.  Later, after Paul and Silas are released from jail, they return to Lydia's home to preach to the believers gathered there. 

I want to be more hospitable.  Instead of worrying about the extra workload or the inconvenience, I want to be open to the opportunities God places before me.  I want to open my heart and home to those who love Christ so we can encourage each other.  I want to be like Lydia.


2 comments:

  1. Your writings just impress me, thanks for all you put into your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia is one woman I have always wanted to know more of her story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete