Monday, March 28, 2011

Be Bold - The Lord Your God Is With You

Last week, I waited in line at a Christian book store and overheard a young woman ask for a job application.  There was nothing remarkable or noteworthy about her appearance or the request.  What was remarkable and noteworthy was the interaction between this young woman and the sales clerk with whom she spoke.

The young woman was told that applications were available online, but the clerk knew for a fact that that store was not currently hiring.  At this point, I realized the young woman was distressed.  I tried not to eavesdrop, but it was impossible due to the close proximity.  The clerk came from behind the counter and hugged the young woman and asked if she could pray with her.  The young woman readily agreed and then began to cry as she explained that she was a widow with two small children.  She had been working as a nurse and had lost her job after her employer downsized.  She was willing to work anywhere, doing anything, in order to feed her children and provide housing for them.

The sales clerk gently placed her hands on the young woman's shoulders and began to pray for her and for her children. She prayed fervently without concern for those of us who stood in line.  I don't know about anyone else, but I bowed in prayer and a few minutes later, opened my tear-filled eyes. 

I have thought about that young woman several times in the last few days, but I have thought more about the sales clerk.

Each time I pray for the young woman and her circumstances, I also pray that God would give me the bold spirit necessary to be like the sales clerk.  I am reminded of the song, "Be Bold."  Are you familiar with the lyrics?


"BE BOLD"
Be bold, be strong
For the Lord your God is with you
Be bold, be strong
For the Lord your God is with you
I am not afraid
I am not dismayed
Because I'm walking in faith and victory
Come on and walk in faith and victory
For the Lord your God is with you


The Bible admonishes us to pray without ceasing.  That I can do.  What I have a hard time doing is praying with or for others in a public, secular setting.  That I can strive to do.  With God's help, I plan to take baby steps toward that goal.  I want to be bold, I want to be strong, and I want to remember that the Lord, our God is with me as I take each baby step.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:5,6

3 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful story Debra, it really touched my heart. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I've missed seeing you at Snowball. I have two more weeks of classes and then I should be back with the group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many times have we failed to be bold...and step up in HIS annointing....too many on my part.

    Thanks for the challenge, I, too. want to learn spiritual boldness!

    ReplyDelete