Monday, March 14, 2011

Seeing Yourself Through God's Eyes

At what age do we start validating ourselves based on the opinions of others?  Middle school?  Grade school?  

I love working with young people.  I did my student teaching with middle school students and taught high school.  I've lead youth groups and taught Sunday School classes for these age groups.  I've had a lot of heart-to-heart conversations...

I'm not sure when it starts, but I do know that girls spend entirely too much time focusing on the approval of others.  Do you remember what it was like to be that age and feel like everyone was watching your every move?  Worrying that everyone saw you trip and fall? Worrying that everyone noticed your shoes or clothes were an off brand?

These poor girls want desperately to fit in and at the same time they want to make a statement and be different.  No wonder they're insecure.  The media tells them they're all too fat and that they need plastic surgery to enhance their inner beauty.  No wonder their insecure.  Their teachers compare their achievements or lack of achievement to other students.

And their mothers, well we don't have a clue, do we?  How could we possibly understand what it's like to have a guy walk past and not notice you?  How could we possibly know what it's like to see everyone else get picked for a team while you get ignored?  How could we understand feeling like you'll never be good enough?

We can assure our girls that other people have their own problems and aren't focusing on them.  Kids are too self-centered we tell them, they make a cruel remark and as far as they're concerned, it's over.  You keep dwelling on what was said, but the other person is probably oblivious to the pain they inflicted.  They're too busy dwelling on the pain someone else inflicted on them.  Does this sound familiar?  Have you had conversations like this?

Hypocrites, aren't we?



Last week, several women joined me on a Facebook discussion thread.  I've been reading Beth Moore's book, So Long Insecurity and wanted to share it with my friends.  Most of the women do not have copies of the book; so, I am reviewing the book one chapter at a time and tossing out questions. 

We had a small number actively participating and I am hoping those who followed along but did not comment, will join in this week.  Hmmm.  We're talking about insecurity and the comment I heard repeatedly was something like this, "I was afraid I'd sound stupid, so I didn't type anything." 

Ladies - we are ALL insecure.  Even those women you know who always look so perfect!  AND, men are insecure as well - not about the same issues - but they are insecure, too.  It's time we stepped out of our shells and started living for today.  Don't wait until you've read a few more books, lost a few more pounds, cleaned the house. . .

In this book, Beth Moore is able to convey what most of us are thinking.  I love this book!  And I know that if you read it you will, too.  But, if you can't get your hands on a copy, consider following along each Monday at 7:30 pm for a lively discussion. 

I don't know about you, but I care about the opinions of other people.  Sure, I try to tell myself that it doesn't matter what others think - I am who I am, take me or leave me.  But the truth is, I do care.  And when I sense people don't like me or would rather not spend time with me, it hurts. 

Do you focus too much on the approval of others? 

God could have made you any way he wanted to - and He did.  Have you thought about that?  With all of the options for hair color, eye color, skin color, facial features, body types, God made you exactly the way He wanted you to be.  

Are your insecurities holding you back from serving Him?  As Christians, we are gifted people. God knew what He was doing when He created you.  AND, he knew what he was doing when he selected your gifts so that you could serve others on his behalf.  

God sees you as you are, but more importantly, he sees you as you can be.  Don't let insecurity keep you from being the best you that you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment