Friday, February 4, 2011

My Bucket List

Me and my man!



Our family recently watched the movie, "Bucket List" for the first time.  I am so out of the loop when it comes to movies.  I had heard the term, "bucket list" but had no idea there was a movie by the same name until a friend from church asked Marlin about helping her with her bucket list.  It seems driving a BIG tractor is on her list, and after visiting our farm she saw one that fit the bill!  This spring, Diana will be able to check one more item off her bucket list.  Watching the movie made me think I should write a bucket list...

Here goes -

1.  I want to sing with a country band in honor of my dad.  Not on a regular basis, just once.  And I want to sing Merle Haggard's "I Turned Twenty-One in Prison" even if it doesn't seem right for a woman to sing it!  I want to sing something by Patsy Cline. This could be the first item checked off the list. I have a lead on this one. (Robert, come spring I'm gonna look you up!)

2.  I want to record a CD of my favorite gospel music.  I've always wanted to do a medley, but I'll need someone to help me decide which songs to include and in what order...(Michael, later in spring, when you are truly thawed out, I want to come see you about this one!)

3.  I want to publish at least one book in each of the following genres: suspense, teen fiction, historical fiction and a cookbook.  I am behind schedule (self-imposed) but I should finish first drafts on two of the four early this year- maybe by the beginning of Spring!  I REALLY want to have a hard copy in hand before my fiftieth birthday and I'm running out of time....

4.  I want to go on an Alaskan cruise...

5.  I want to go to Italy...

I guess that's it.  The first four on my list I know if given time, I will accomplish.  I've wanted to see my name on a book spine for as long as I can remember.  I've dreamed of the first two since my early teens and I think my cousins will be able to help me out with them.  As for the Alaskan cruise...Marlin's not ready to be away from the farm that long, but I know it will happen.

I wonder if it's cheating to put four things on my list that I know I will accomplish?  Does it defeat the purpose of writing down your bucket list if you know you'll accomplish most of your goals? 
Granny Miller, my biggest cheerleader

It doesn't really matter to me.  I am content with my life and love living it.  The things that don't show up on my list are more important than ANY listed there:

1.  To experience the love of a good man - check

2.  To raise a family and build a strong relationship with each child - check

Adoption is final - 1-1/2 year process!
3.  To earn a bachelor's degree - check

4.  To have a growing relationship with God - check

5.  To be surrounded by family and friends - check
 

Do I really need anything more?  I think not.  

1 comment: